QQI Level 5 (course code: 5N3769)
This course is designed for:
- Carers currently employed in a healthcare setting
- Those planning a career in a healthcare setting who require a formal qualification
Learners who successfully complete this course will:
- Provide holistic care for persons diagnosed with a life-limiting illness and in the last day of a person’s life and also for their families, carers and significant others
- Communicate effectively with persons with a life-limiting illness and in the last days of a person’s life and also with their families, carers and significant others
- Enhance the quality of life of the person with a life-limiting illness
- Recognise and respect the uniqueness of each person’s approach to death
- Work effectively as part of the healthcare team
The course covers the following:
Unit 1: Working a Palliative Care Approach
Unit 2: Communication Skills
Unit 3: Death & Dying
Unit 4: Bereavement Care
Students will have the opportunity to complete a work placement in order to gain practical experience and to complete their learner records for the course.
The course will be delivered through in-class learning and practical work experience.
Assessment will be split between a Skills Demonstration and theory-based assignments.
On successful completion of this course, students will have achieved one of 8 modules that lead to a QQI Level 5 Major Award in Healthcare Support 5M4339 or Nursing Studies 5M4325. Palliative Care Support is an optional module for the Major Award in Healthcare Support 5M4339 and Nursing Studies 5M4325.
- Care of the Older Person
- Infection Prevention & Control
- Occupational First Aid