Who is this course for?
– Carers currently employed in a healthcare setting
– Those planning a career in a healthcare setting who require a formal qualification
– Recognise the personal care needs of clients
– Respond effectively to clients’ individual needs, with their involvement and use of choice
– Acquire practical skills in the area of client personal care
– Maintain a safe, healthy and hygienic environment for clients
– Appreciate the models of care
– Be aware of nursing ethics and etiquette in care situations
– Communicate effectively in ways that are consistent with the carer’s role
Unit 1: Understanding Client Care
Unit 2: Using Equipment
Unit 3: Assisting Skills
Students will have the opportunity to complete a work placement in order to gain practical experience and to complete their learner records for the course.
Assessment will be split between a Skills Demonstration and theory-based assignments.
The course will be classroom based over four days, and in addition, supported by distance learning with nursing tutors. Students will be required to carry out work experience and assignments in order to successfully complete the course and satisfy the assessment requirements.
On successful completion of this course, the student will be awarded a QQI/FETAC Level 5 (Component) Certificate in Care Skills.
Having successfully completed this course students will have achieved one of 8 modules that lead to a QQI Level 5 Major Award in Healthcare Support 5M4339 or Nursing Studies 5M4325. Care Skills is a compulsory module for Healthcare Support 5M4339 and an optional module for Nursing Studies 5M4325.
– Care of the Older Person
– Infection Prevention and Control
– Occupational First Aid